"Snoring is the sweetest music this side of heaven. Ask any widow." - unknown
I was deeply touched by this quote but I was a mere teenager when I came across this quote, so I feel I may not have truly grasp the essence of the quote. Now that I am older and I would like to think wiser, I feel I can truly appreciate and relate to it.
I know it is human nature to not know contentment and it is only human to demand more and expect to have to give out less in return. However, the death of his uncle recently made me think about alot of things (refer to first post). I feel alot for his aunty especially since she was so dependent on him and is now left to fend for herself. If its one thing that they taught me, they taught me to appreciate the simplest things in life and all those around me. Cos' life is that fragile. This is why I get so upset when I see my parents like this. I get very hurt to see that they choose not to be happy. That emotional rollercoaster is worth an essay on its own so I shall leave it for another post.
I am a firm believer that couples who start out as friends last longer and also serious couples should try living with each other before diving straight into marriage. This may however be taboo for the more conservative sort. I once wrote about the components of a successful relationship in my last blog. I originally posted that with the intention to convince my best friend to give it another shot at her relationship, afterall that was our winning formula.
Fate
Tracing back to our beginnings, way back to when we were merely friends and living in Australia, he being the lost kitten which I adopted into my home. (My house was just behind the Uni and he was a bum). We started out as lecture buddies, keeping each other company cos' I din really fit into the gang and he got outcasted cos' of that as well.
Communication
We would call each other every night at 8pm just to make use of the Optus Yes time and it was really just that, for sometimes we would just have the fone on speaker and carry on with our stuff, remembering only to hang up every 20mins and take turns to call back. Afterall we already paid for it, so why not make use of it. He would stay over when he was lazy to go home or on when there was an early morning lecture the next day.
Now that I am reminiscing our past, I would equate the conversations we had over the phone or at the balcony outside my room to a catch-ball session. This was something new to me, for I had never before met someone who shared my same wavelength. Even now, we still talk all the time, about anything and everything, right up to before we fall asleep. We made a intriguing revelation the other day and while I know its really weird, I cannot maintain eye contact with anyone other than him during a conversation. It is the same for him. So if there is such a thing as a soulmate, he is definitely one for me.
Understanding
I know that because we were buddies before lovers, because we had presented ourselves at face value with no markups, there was no after purchase disappointment, we both got the real deal. Because we had a taste of what marriage life entails, we are able to live with each other.
He saw my morning face, I knew he snored. I am chaos reincarnated, I would leave trails of me all over the house (crumbs and all), so he picks up after me. I open bags of snacks only to pick at them alittle then leave them to rot in the fridge. He was brought up to not waste food. We have our differences, we know them and accept them. So now even though I do all the preparation and slave over the stove while he puts his legs up and have shootouts with zombies on Resident Evil. I know that in exchange he would be doing the mountain of dishes while I boogie with the maracas on Samba de Amigo. I forget to mention that the kitchen looks like a tornado swept through it after I'm through with it.
Perserverance
We knew all the little peculiarities that made us us, because we hung around each other for more than 8hours a day, everyday. There was no respite, nowhere to run to when we had a fight, we had no choice but to resolve it before bedtime. Of course all of these merely helped build the foundation for our relationship, we worked hard at resolving our differences. Okay mostly he did, I was just one spoilt brat. But his patience gave me the opportunity to grow up.
Positivity
I am pessimistic by nature. I find little meaning in my existence, my parents helped reinforce that on a daily basis. But if I had one good thing going for me in this life, it would be him. Despite only being 2 years older, he watches over and protects me somewhat similiar to that of a doting pet owner.(Yes, he thinks I am a pet.) He's always reaching over to ruffle my hair or pinch my cheek at the same time cooing.."sooo cute!" . And I am like ????!!! cos' in my opinion I did not perform a trick worthy of that.
7 years has since passed from when we first crossed the line from friends to lovers and of cos' this is an abbreviated version of our journey together, but we should focus on the good right. Happy Anniversary ar bee . You were right, the honeymoon period need never end.
so sweet lah.at least between you and me, one of us is truely happy. :)
ReplyDelete& girl ah, just get married lah. before im too OLD to be a bridesmaid can. haha...
aren't you? Silly gal..
ReplyDeleteHe wants to elope to vegas...the other day he ask me which i preferred: elvis or alien?